Division of Police
The Maumee Police has several officers assigned to bike patrol. A Sergeant supervises this specialized unit that currently has eight police bicycles for its operation.
WHY BIKE PATROL?
· The quiet nature of the bikes allow officers to ride up on crimes in progress
· Bikes allow greater access to school yards, parks, and areas where cars can't travel
· Bikes can be deployed at special events
· Bikes allow the officer to work closer to the community
BICYCLE SAFETY TIPS
· Always wear a bicycle helmet; a bike helmet could save your life
· Make sure your bicycle is in safe working condition. Check the brakes and handle bars to make sure they are working properly
· Follow the rules of the road - ride in the same direction as traffic. Stay as far to the right as possible
· Signal your intent to turn
· Give pedestrians the right of way