Division of Human Resources
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY
OF THE CITY OF MAUMEE, OHIO
The City of Maumee, Ohio is establishing this Affirmative Action Plan in accordance with the intent of the rules, regulations, and guidelines of the various federal and state laws and agencies having oversight in the area of equal employment opportunity for all persons.
1. The City of Maumee shall recruit, hire, train, and promote all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, sex religion, marital status, age, or disability.
2. The City of Maumee shall base all decisions related to employment so as to further the principal of equal opportunity for all persons.
3. All personnel actions such as hiring, testing, compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, returns from layoffs, education, disciplinary action, and termination will be administered without regard to race, color, national origin, sex religion, marital status, age, or disability.
IMPLEMENTATION OF POLICY
4. The Administrator of the City of Maumee shall be the Director of Equal Opportunity for the City of Maumee.
5. The implementation of this policy shall be the responsibility of the director of each department, who shall report directly to the Director of Equal Opportunity.
6. Supervisory personnel in each department and division will be responsible for implementation of the policy at their respective levels.
DISSEMINATION OF POLICY
7. The policy shall be disseminated to all employees through publication and communication, and will be communicated to all new employees upon employment.
8. Copies of this policy will be made available to all unions representing municipal employees.
9. To ensure understanding and continuing implementation of this policy, the subject of equal employment opportunity will be discussed at management and supervisory meetings.
10. Recruiting sources, community organizations, secondary schools, and colleges will be informed of the policy.
SELECTION AND PLACEMENT
11. All hiring standards used for employment selections such as height, weight, education, previous employment records, and physical abilities will be realistically related to actual job requirements and will be applied without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, or disability.
12. Testing procedures used in the selection, placement, and promotion of personnel will be validated in accordance with existing law.
NON COMPLIANCE WITH POLICY
13. Implementation of this policy is essential to meet the obligations of the City of Maumee under federal and state laws. Therefore, any violation of this policy will result in appropriate disciplinary action, which may include suspension or discharge.
14. Hiring and assignment of new employees, including job classifications not covered by a collective bargaining agreement, will be conducted as follows:
a. All persons evidencing a desire to apply for employment with the City of Maumee will be given the opportunity to file an application form.
b. Individuals filing an application will be considered for 180 days for the positions for which they have applied, or for which they may be qualified, as such jobs become available during such period of time.
15. Employment representatives will maintain a continuing liaison with minority and female schools and colleges, public and private, in the labor market area, for the purpose of obtaining applicants for employment from these sources.
16. Critical open job classifications will be published in newspapers, through the Ohio Bureau of Employment Services, and in other local outlets for the purpose of the widest possible dissemination of employment information.
17. The City of Maumee will avoid placement of job information in any help wanted advertising in sex segregated columns in newspapers and other publications.
18. Recruitment letters and other material will not contain any references to “male”, “female”, or other gender related terms to indicate a gender preference in any positions.