Division of Building, Inspection and Zoning

Residential Building Permits

City of Maumee Inspection Department 
450 W. Dussel Dr., Maumee, Ohio 43537-3371 Phone # (419) 897-7075 Fax #(419) 897-7182 

Residential Permit Procedures

The Inspection Department of Maumee enforces, and in return is regulated by, many different codes. The latest publication from the International Code Council serves as our adopted model code and these codes are updated regularly. Here is our current listing of adopted codes:

· The Codified Ordinance of Maumee Part Eleven of the City of Maumee Planning and Zoning Code
· Fifth Edition of The BOCA National Property Maintenance Code / 1996 
· 2013 Residential Code of Ohio based on the 2009 International Residential Code 
· 2017 Ohio Building Code of Ohio based on the 2015 International Building Code 
· 2017 Ohio Plumbing Code of Ohio; 2013 for residential ORC Chapter 25 Amendment 
· 2017 Ohio Mechanical Code based on the 2015 International Mechanical Code
· 2014 National Electrical Code for residential; 2017 for Commercial

These codes are available for review at our office during normal business hours. If you have Internet access, please visit our website at http://www.maumee.org there; under City Government you may view our Codified Ordinance. Our website also contains permit applications, fee's schedules, and other useful information.

When do I need a Permit?

This is sometimes a difficult question to answer, so we've included a partial list of types of work requiring a permit. You should always check with us, if you're unsure.

* New construction, demolition, extensive repairs, or alterations to existing buildings 
* Any electrical, plumbing, or heating and cooling work 
* Sidewalks and drive approaches, including curb cuts 
* Signs - except temporary signs on residential zoned property.  
                        *See location restrictions in the Sign Ordinance. 

* Garage sale, yard sale, estate sales all require a permit. (There is no permit fee) 
* Sheds, decks, porches, garages, fences, swimming pools, re-roofs, siding, windows and doors (if frame size changes)

Where can I build on my property?

It's important that a community plan determines neighborhood rules for which setbacks are maintained. This is an essential part of zoning along with dividing its community into residential, commercial, and industrial areas. Therefore, we need to know what your property is classified as.

How do I determine my property zoning classification?

If you have Internet access, try this useful website http://www.lucascountyoh.gov/ and look for a web link titled AREIS. This powerful real estate program will provide you with all kinds of useful property information including zoning classification. You may also contact us with any questions relating to zoning and building codes during office hours.

Next, we need to review and apply required setbacks to the proposed design. This information is found in The Codified Ordinance of Maumee. Again this information may be read online at http://www.maumee.org/. There are also information sheets detailing setbacks online at http://www.maumee.org/ and at our office counter.

My project is located in a historical district. Are there additional regulations I must follow?

Our Historical District boundaries are from Ford St. in the west, to Key St. in the east, and from Anthony Wayne Trail in the north, to the Maumee River in the south. Every new or altered structure within this zone must first gain approvals through the Architectural Review Board before permits may be issued.

How do I apply for and gain approvals from the Design Review Board?

Applications are available from our office, on-line, or they may be faxed. Once completed, you will be required to submit a set of elevation drawings, site plan, and pictures by 4:30 pm on Wednesday prior to the meeting date. Your presence is required at the meeting, which is held at 9:00 am on the first Wednesday of the month.

What kind of drawings will I need to submit for a Building Permit?

In order to complete our review processes, we will need plans and documents that will convey the design and structural elements to our plan examiner. Three complete sets of construction drawings are required anytime a new structure is applied for. A construction set of drawings should include:

Plot Plan - Showing street location, any easement and alleys, the footprint of proposed structure, include all existing structures, with the length and width dimensions for the property and the structures. 
Floor Plans - Showing room names and dimensions, direction and size of floor joist, locate any walls, fixtures, windows, doors, post, beams, and headers.
Elevations - Showing outside appearance of the structure include grade level. 
Sections - Cut through of the structure to show framing members and their connections. All materials used should be call out and sized. 
Mechanical drawings are not needed although location of equipment and fixtures should be noted on the plans. A Mechanical System Description Form shall be filled out if structure is to be a new home. 
Structural design sheets to accompany drawings if engineered trusses and beams are used. 
* We require 3-sets of construction drawings for review.

After my plans are approved what's my next step?

*  A Building Permit must be applied for and granted before any work is started. Persons who fail to obtain a permit prior to starting work will be issued a stop work order, and fined.  
*  Applications for permits and the permit fee schedule are available at our counter, or by fax, or a copy may be printed from our website. 
*  Homeowners may apply for any or all of the permits, providing the owner is actually performing the work. 
*  General Contractors need to register with us. Registration forms and fees are available on our website. 
*  Contractors, who install electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning, refrigeration, and fire suppression system will need to register with us and be licensed with the state of Ohio. Once we have reviewed and approved the proposed construction work, we will issue a Permit Card that identifies to others this work is approved. Place this card in a visible location at the work site and proceed with your work. 
*  Two approved sets of drawings will be returned with the permit, one set is to be kept on job site. 

When do I call for inspections?

*  Inspections are required during each phase of construction to ensure that the work has been completed and will be safe for anyone occupying or using the structure or building. 
*  To request a required inspection, the person signing the permit or his /her representative shall call the inspection office twenty-four hours in advance. 
*  Footing inspections are required to assure that proper depth is maintained and to verify that the soil is capable of supporting the designed load. 
*  Foundation inspections are required to ensure that the footer tile is installed next to the footer and that the foundation wall is properly constructed and water proofed. 
*  Rough structural inspections are required to check size, spans, and type of lumber used and that nailing meet code requirements. 
*  Rough electric, plumbing, and heating inspections are required before walls and ceilings are covered to ensure that the installation has been done to the standards of each respective code. 
*  Final inspections are required to ensure that all inspections have been made and approved and that all work has been completed properly, including final site grade, sidewalks and drive approaches. 
*  The City of Maumee requires that before any new building or addition is occupied all work has be inspected and approved. Certification of Occupancy states that all work has been done in accordance to the code and that the structure is safe for human occupancy.